GREATER BROOKLAND INTERGENERATIONAL VILLAGE
COVID-19 Update: GBIV has temporarily suspended in-person programming and activities. We greatly appreciate your patience in advance.
Greater Brookland Intergenerational Village, aka the Brookland Village, is a grassroots nonprofit dedicated to helping older neighbors develop the relationships & tools they need to age successfully in their community.
We are run largely by our members, the majority of whom serve as volunteers in several different capacities.
WHAT WE DO
Like other Villages around the country, GBIV is dedicated to the following:
- Helping neighbors run regular social and wellness activities & plan educational workshops
- Leading discussions on aging-related topics, like tips for avoiding falls or job searching in the digital age
- Coordinating volunteer opportunities to provide 1:1 assistance to neighbors
We envision a community in which all neighbors...
Feel welcome, seen, and valued, regardless of their age, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, health, or socioeconomic status
- Build meaningful relationships between neighbors
- Feel empowered to change Greater Brookland for the better
- Are better prepared to age successfully in their community
GBIV got started after several neighbors came together in the fall of 2018 to think about how we might bring the Village model to Ward 5. We held several community roundtables as well as presented at local ANC and BNCA meetings to learn more about what kind of services and programs would be most helpful.
In May of 2019, we formed an official board. In January, 2020 we held a launch party at Alice's Jazz & Cultural Society to let the neighborhood know we are open for business!